Monday 11 May 2015

Utility at a glance

Things I’ve learned this week:-

The 'Now Playimg' glance also works with podcast players, and has volume control either via a slider, or by rotating the crown - nice! (volume control was on my wish-list for Overcast). Interestingly, I’ve hardly used Overcast on the watch at all since discovering this.

Overcast has a Force Touch control for additional settings - had no idea!

There is real utility in being able to glance at an email, message or notification and dismissing it easily. However, there's also real utility in being able to glance at a watch and see if the time, and my Apple Watch continues to frustrate here. On Accidental Tech Podcast Marco Arment mentioned that he had a 25% failure rate with the 'raise you arm to light up the watch' feature; I'd kill for a 25% failure rate - I have more like a 25% success rate, or less. Seriously, this feature needs work.

Now I'm settling into the watch, I’m finding I use fewer and fewer of the features. I installed a couple of apps when it was all new and shiny, but haven't used them at all.

I’m still missing access to Notes.app on the watch - this is a real omission, I feel.

Also I haven't found a way to edit a Siri dictation when replying to, say, a text message; Siri is much better at speech recognition but still isn't perfect, so messages can need to be edited before sending, yet there doesn't seem to be a way to do this without digging out my phone??

I was initially pleased that I didn't have to reconnect the watch regularly - I reposition my watch on my wrist frequently throughout the day - but this week saw several disconnections. Turns out that when I was sanding window frames, despite industrial levels u dust extraction, there was some fine debris getting between the watch and my wrist, causing lack of contact. Removing the watch, cleaning it and reconnecting sorted everything out, but it’s worth noting that if your work involves anything more hazardous than blogging whilst in your local coffee shop, you may need to bear this in mind.

I’ve reduced the battery-level complication to a corner feature, as it's really a non-issue; I’m still getting around 20% remaining at the end of a 16-17hr day. Recharging is easy overnight, but I've had a couple of charges that only register at 99% in the morning, which is odd - a full recharge is supposed to be around 2.5hrs, so 10.30 - 5.30 should be plenty.

The sports band continues to impress; comfy, cleans easily, appears durable and is relatively cheap - worth noting though, that I have Quartz watches with stainless-steel wristbands that cost less than this 'rubber' band alone...

So a good second week; no surprises or dramas, it’s a watch with a few extras thrown in.